Creative writing activity for group/workshop
- to work a theme from different angles
- to work towards a series of texts with other writers
groups of about four
Poverty sequence by Rita Ann Higgins
a small piece of paper per participant
one large piece of paper per group
- Each participant thinks of a a concept that s/he feels has many facets and
writes it down in the centre of the small piece of paper.
- Now they try to narrow the topic down, e.g. from Love to First Love or Lost
Love, etc. still trying to keep in mind that the concept should allow be multifaceted.
- They brainstorm as many ideas and associations with this topic and put them
down on their piece of paper in the form of a mindmap.
- The participants form groups of no less than four and present their mindmaps;
the object is to select one theme per group and transfer/expand the mindmap
on this theme on the big piece of paper.
- Then they determine who is going to work with which aspects of the mindmap
and mark them headwords for their text.
- Every participant writes one or two short texts with the aspects of the
topic s/he has chosen.
- In a final stage the texts are presented to the group and/or the entire
class. Feedback is given by post-it stickers attached to the texts. They could
now be rewritten to bring the texts of one topic together into a coherent
The same procedure without the transfer to group work is also possible.
In this case each participant develops texts (e.g. poems) on the basis
of her/his mindmap. This may be a useful development from the pre-groupwork
© 2000 – 2005 Franz Andres Morrissey, all rights reserved.